(originally posted on the PowerCutsIN Blog)
September 16, 2011: This is the house of Mr. Sukhdev from Karcha Village, Banda, Uttar Pradesh where I had a chance to visit during one of my work visits.
In this report we hear Sukhdev highlight the following key points: [link to report]
- When the transformer at their village burns out and needs repairing, unless they pool in money to pay to the district electricity department, they do not get a replacement. Which technically seems to be a bribe.
- The load on these transformers is high since many people use wire tap to the source lines to draw electricity to their homes even without a connection, which adds extra load on the transformer beyond its capacity due to which it fires and goes bad.
- They have electricity for around 10 hours mostly only during the nights when the transformers are working.
- Due to electricity, his kids can study during the dark for a couple of hours.
- Using fans, when there is power helps them to get rid of mosquitoes & diseases caused by them during summers.
- When there is no electricity during the night its scary because of threat of theft in the village.
You can view the video here with English subtitles below: [YouTube link][youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjQIMlqJqyk]