Now that we know that the effects of the pandemic are going to have large scale effects, I have been thinking on how to get some help. I have been speaking to the people I know and thought it would be a good idea to chip in and try to raise some funds.
I wrote my last post reflecting on the problem here, and now I have setup a dedicated page to raise funds that could reach the rural poor in India through my network.
PayPal Pool link: https://paypal.me/pools/c/8qkPQuMotK
Please read the above page I have setup to get a sense of how cash is the best way to help and how these funds aim to bridge the gap and strengthen existing efforts that the local community workers are already doing.
It is also a good way for those who research in the development or humanitarian sector to reach out to those who we interview, gain knowledge and insight for, and write papers and further our work and careers to join in and follow suit. I highly encourage all researchers and professional aid workers with the means, to send money either to my pool or to their existing network of people.
My network exists in the states of Bihar, Jharkhand, Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan. These are people who I have worked with over the years or have interviewed as part of my PhD research. Many aid workers and researchers like me maintain contact with those who we meet during our work and keep in touch. This is based on mutual respect, admiration and trust between each one of us. So, I will try to reach out to those and see how best the money can be sent for the communities. They already have their own way of keeping in touch with affected communities and ways of mutual aid. This assistance will help provide some extra support to strengthen their ongoing work.
Look at news from:
How you can help?
The only way we are looking for support is donations. All money will be sent directly to the affected communities without any middlemen (except the bank transfer charges).
Link to PayPal: https://paypal.me/pools/c/8qkPQuMotK (you can Pay As a Guest using credit card as well)
If you would like to make a bank transfer using your EUR, USD, GBP account for those based in US/UK, please email me and I shall send you the bank details.)
If you are based in India, please contact me directly and not send money by Paypal and I will connect you with people directly.
For people who are not familiar with the aid sector, and why cash is the best way this article maybe able to shed some light. https://www.npr.org/2019/11/25/782536982/why-cash-aid-distributions-have-a-beneficial-ripple-effect?t=1593219219812
- Please note, this is to be considered a private/personal donation without any tax benefit.
- Please note, that I will do my best in my individual capacity to ensure the money reaches those in need based on the judgment of the local aid workers.
- There won’t be any publicly posted pictures of poor people receiving our help so that we can feel grateful.
- If you really need proof that your money is being used for good, we can try to connect you to the community aid workers and have a direct video call. In no way we are going to make the poor people feel miserable by making them an object of our charity.
- If you have any doubts, you should find a formal organisation and try to send them money directly. This is initiative is supposed to be outside the usual system of aid delivery for a reason.
- Please also note, all money that I receive will be sent out. There is no money that I will use for anything from this pool. My time, effort and resources to organise this are at my personal expense.
Email: email@example.com (PGP Key here)